Ten Tips For Remodeling Your Bathroom
Remodeling your bathroom is a wise investment in your home. Updated bathrooms are very appealing to homebuyers when it comes time to sell. Bathroom remodeling projects are a smart way to add value to your home while creating a beautiful and relaxing room for your family to enjoy. If you are considering a bathroom remodel, follow these ten tips to make your project a success.
1. Set a budget. One of the first things you should do before starting any home remodeling project is to determine what your budget will be. Knowing how much money you have to spend will influence every material you choose and every design decision you make.
2. Make a plan. Take time to decide what you want to accomplish with your remodel. Determine if you need to reconfigure the room entirely or simply refinish and replace certain features to get the look you want.
3. Decide which features can be refinished rather than replaced. You can save a lot of money by refinishing some of your features and incorporating them into your new design. With a little effort, you might be able to keep your existing tub or faucet rather than replacing it entirely.
4. Enlist the help of professionals. Find a qualified bathroom remodeling company in your area who will help you with the design and the actual work needed to update your bathroom. These experts have the equipment and skill to complete the job professionally and in a timely manner. Bathroom remodeling can be a big project and it is not something that most homeowners can attempt without help.
5. Pay attention to the lighting. Proper lighting is essential in a bathroom. It is not only necessary for tasks like applying make-up or brushing your teeth, it adds to the overall atmosphere of the room. Strategic lighting can make a small bathroom appear larger as well.
6. It is the small details that make a big impact. Many people overlook the small details when remodeling their bathroom. Cabinet hardware, faucet handles and decorative towel racks make a big difference in the overall style of the room. You will want to choose fixtures and hardware that has the same or similar finish for a more cohesive and uniform look.
7. Be sure there is plenty of storage. One of the biggest complaints that homeowners have about their bathrooms is lack of storage space. When there is not adequate space for all of your things, your bathroom can look cluttered and messy. Custom cabinetry is a good way to add needed storage that is both functional and beautiful.
8. Choose materials that are durable. When choosing materials for your bathroom, you will want to find those that are able to withstand lots of use. Because bathrooms tend to be high humidity rooms, you should choose countertops, tiles and other materials that will not be warped or damaged from long-term exposure to water and humidity.
9. Be sure all work is up to code. You want to make sure that all work completed meets the minimal standards required by your city and state. Electrical and plumbing renovations that are not up to code can cause serious problems in the future. This is why it is a good idea to have a professional remodeling and design firm help you with this project.
10. Proper ventilation is essential in the bathroom. Moisture can cause mold and mildew to grow if not properly ventilated. A certified electrician can assist you with installing proper ventilation that will eliminate these problems.